Sunday, June 14, 2009

Shanna Suburbia

When I was younger, my mom was always telling me that I needed to learn to cook and keep house so that one day I could take care of my husband and kids. In response, I told her the family could just go out to McDonald's every night and I could just hire someone to clean the house.

At the time, I really resented that being born a female meant I was destined to domestic duties. And even though I always had tomboy tendencies, I never felt like a feminist fighting to liberate women from such domestic duties... I just always thought that it wasn't fair to expect them out of a woman just because she was a woman.

As I grew to take on adult roles, I found that I really do enjoy the more nurturing roles in an adult relationship... In fact, I would be pretty content to let my significant other be the bread winner who works the 9-5 while I feed all the needs of the home. I do, in fact, enjoy cooking and packing lunches and being there to greet him when he comes home. I daresay that I would enjoy being a stay-at-home mom in the future as well.

But that doesn't make me a housewife, though I neither have a house nor am a wife, and that doesn't make me a homemaker either.

Like everyone else, I am many things. I am a recent college graduation who doesn't know where her future is taking her. I am an aspiring event planner. I am a girlfriend of (nearly) two years to a wonderful man who just moved to take an accounting job in this flailing economy. I am someone who has succeeded and struggled and will continue to do both.

I have a lot of thoughts and opinions and things to share and I would like to experiment with being a writer. I am Shanna Suburbia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a little note?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin